Thursday, June 26, 2008

Tearing through Yellowstone

From Jackson through the Tetons and on into the South Entrance of
Yellowstone yesterday. Of course, I didn't leave Jackson until the
afternoon, but I still put on 71 miles before (well, sort of) dark. I
camped at beautiful Lewis Lake Campground, which, of course, was
closed--probably because there was still too much snow on the ground.
I camped at my first "this site reserved for hikers and bicyclists"
campsite, which made me smile. A bit of rain around 1 AM woke me up
quick to put on the rain fly (I swear I had a sky full of stars at 11
when I fell asleep...), amidst an otherwise peaceful night.


Due to some...less than helpful terrain recommendations ("yup, it's
pretty much flat from here") I didn't get to camp until late. Just
after the sun went down, I crested a 6-mile climb and found myself all
alone with a big bison on the narrow, no shoulder road. He was
trotting along the same direction as me in the right hand lane. Afraid
of spooking him, I swung wide into the left lane and slowed way down.
As I passed him, he turned his long head, from horns to that big
grandpa beard they seem to have, looked at me and huffed lightly. I was
amazed, and decided it was most wise to skip out on the photo op just
this time.


I also got to test out my new binoculars to spot a female grizzly bear
lumbering along from mid distance.


Today I'm shooting for Cody, which will put me at an ambitious 110
miles for the day. I'm optimistic, but we'll just have to see as the
day goes on.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yikes! Keep away from the bears, please. They might be the one thing in the world that will be able to overlook your likeability in exchange for your nomability.

I'm really enjoying reading about your travels. Come back through Austin soon.

Lela said...

Reading your blog and following your adventures is seriously the highlight of my day. I'm so excited to read the next entry! We miss you. Be safe.

Love,
-Lela

Anonymous said...

Oooh! You have a Solio! So that's how you're able to blog on the iPhone from the middle of nowhere. Nice way to have it recharge while you ride --though I hope that one cord isn't all that's holding it onto the pack!