Monday, July 21, 2008

Across Minnesota to Duluth

On my way across Minnesota, I met many nights' worth of generous and hospitable people. Special thanks to Gary and family near the smaller of the two lakes named Tamarack; Linda, Janey, Teresa, Wolfie, and the whole Iron Horse crew in Nevis; Lauren & Mary at the campground on the other side of Grand Rapids; and Davey & Midge at the Econolodge in Hermantown. Obviously, I'm leaving out a lot of details and mini-adventures here. Minnesota from west to east really flew by.


The photo here is another important part of bicycle touring logistics. Often, I'll wash out the day's clothes in a campground sink and hang them to dry atop my rolled-up sleeping bag during the day, secured with a bungee cord. This is serviceable, but finding an honest-to-goodness laundromat is worth my laundry's weight in quarters.


I've taken yesterday and today off in Duluth to rest up for the big push into northeast Iowa, where I'll have nearly a week off the bike to spend time with family where I grew up. Now I'm off to take a little tourist harbor cruise in Lake Superior and I think have a look around a railroad museum. Duluth was and still is a big shipping city and I hope to get a feel for how that came to be. Also, I'm still holding my breath for an Alan Sparhawk & Mimi Parker sighting, as I've long been a huge fan of the Duluth-native band Low.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hi Jonathan! I am so happy to see you made it to Duluth and got to see the ships! I am tracking your biking route and am keeping "the gang" informed! I hope you can stop back in Nevis sometime.
Linda & The Iron Horse Gang
Nevis, MN